Oregon leaders don’t just shine in our beautiful state, they shine all over the world. The Leadership without Borders program was organized to provide an opportunity to experience cultural understanding and dive into the world of diversity – with all it’s complexities and sensitivities.
Leadership without Borders began in 2015 with a trip to the Dominican Republic. In 2017, students traveled to Nicaragua. In 2018, they will return to the Dominican Republic and in 2019, students will head to Peru.
Peru: Spring Break 2019 with EF Tours
High up in the mountains where rolling greens lead to snow-capped peaks, you’ll journey into the remote villages surrounding Cuzco. As you explore the heart of Inca civilization, you’ll learn how locals preserve history, art and heritage, while also gaining insight into the challenges they face. Working together with community members, you’ll build long-term solutions to support economic sustainability, agriculture and access to education. As you foster meaningful relationships within the community, you’ll celebrate customs and help empower a village for generations to come.
Group Leader: Sara Nilles, OASC Executive Director
Only 20 total spaces available!
3,735* Scroll to the bottom of the page for more information.
DAY 1: ARRIVE IN LIMA
Meet your Field Director at the airport.
DAY 2: SACRED VALLEY OF THE INCAS
Fly to Cuzco, the unofficial capital of the Sacred Valley of the Incas. Then transfer to the Sacred Valley.
- Tour the home and studio of famed ceramicist, Pablo Seminario, and watch a live pottery demonstration.
DAY 3: MACHU PICCHU
Travel by train to Aquas Calientes.
- Explore the ancient Inca site of Machu Picchu with your local guide.
- Take an afternoon hike to the Sun Gate or explore the site in groups.
DAY 4: CUZCO
Travel by train to Ollantaytambo then continue by bus to Pisac, the gateway to the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
- Visit the famous Pisac Market known for its local crafts.
DAY 5: CUZCO
- Enjoy a walking tour of the city and a local market.
- Visit the village where your service project will take place and participate in a program orientation and welcome.
DAYS 6-8: SERVICE PROJECT — CUZCO
As communities evolve so do their needs. That’s why we work closely with local non-profits to better understand each community’s issues. Since projects are determined closer to your actual tour date, here’s a glimpse at what a typical day might look like.
- Working side-by-side with locals, your projects will address education, health and economic development, like restoring local schools and building hand-washing stations.
- Throughout your stay you’ll also be immersed in cultural activities.
- Each evening, you’ll reflect, discuss events as a group, and draw connections between the day’s work and relevant global issues.
DAY 9: LIMA / DEPART FOR HOME
Return to Lima on a morning flight. Then board your evening flight home.
DAY 10: ARRIVE HOME
Who is Eligible? Current 8th-11th Graders in the 2017-2018 School Year.
How do I apply? Click the link below to submit your application.*
*Applications will be accepted based on approval from school and OASC. Applications will be reviewed on a first come first serve basis. Limited Spots Available.
How do I raise the $$ to attend?
1. Ask your ASB to help pay part of your trip. Afterall, you will be representing your school and bringing back new isights to share with them.
3. Peerbackers allows you to harness the power of your social network (websites like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn) to raise money in an easy, organized, effective way—all on one website.
- You already have a large social network online, comprised of people who’d love to support you.
- Peerbackers accepts credit cards. No more waiting for that check in the mail.
- If someone pledges a certain amount of money, you can “reward” them however you’d like. For instance, if someone donates $50, you can offer a night of babysitting, mow their lawn for a month, or volunteer at a local charity. Peerbackers has great ideas for other incentives.
- Peerbackers lets others track your progress towards your goal.
SO HOW DOES IT WORK? IT’S SIMPLE:
- Create a profile online. Tell your backers about yourself and why they should fund you. Include photos and videos to help get your message across.
- Send emails, tweets, and posts to your friends and family straight from Peerbackers.
- Watch the money drop into your bank account through paypal.
Get started today! Submit your project to peerbackers.com.
|Program Price* ¹||$3,900|
|Early Enrollment Discount||-$200|
|weShare – Personalized Learning||$0|
|EF’s Peace of Mind Program *||Free|
|Total for Students (under 20)||$3,735|
|14 monthly payments||$260/mo|